Friday, February 11, 2011

Mindset over Matter

Every year as a new group of Freshmen emerge on campus, Beloit College releases what’s known as the “Mindset List”. According to Beloit’s website, the list “provides a look at the cultural touchstones that shape the lives of students entering college”. For example, the latest list reveals that the students in the class of 2014 think email is too slow and prefer texting, never wear watches, don’t write in cursive and have always used toothpaste that can stand up on it’s own cap. The list was originally created as a way to remind the faculty to be aware of making dated references because their young new students are likely to come with a different perspective on life based, in part, on being raised during a different time frame.


As Christians, I think there is something to learn here about how we share our faith. In the same way that I could not expect my kids to understand what I’m talking about when I tell them about the first record album I ever owned, I cannot expect a non-Christian to understand what I mean when I talk about “What an anointed time of worship I had at church yesterday” or how “I’ve been sanctified by the blood of the Lamb”. These expressions might make sense to those of us who come from a church background, but would sound pretty weird to anyone else who has not yet experienced faith.

However, I could help my kids understand what a record is by pulling out a record player and a few old albums…giving them the experience of actually listening to a record. And, I can help others understand more about Jesus by living a life that reflects Him, giving them the actual experience of Christ.

Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 5:14-16 (NIV) "You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.”

Today, let’s focus on letting our light shine, giving others an experience of love that will lead them straight to Christ.

No comments: