Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ambassadors

From time to time I have the opportunity to represent WBFJ at seminars, conferences and other professional events. On such occasions, I understand that I am a reflection of the radio station, and my words and actions have the potential to affect the way others view WBFJ. I take this seriously...I would never want to act in a way that would cause someone to see the station in a negative light.

Just as I try hard to be a good representative for WBFJ, I must also try to be a good representative for Christ. Everyone who is a Christian has this responsibility. People are watching us and basing what they think about Jesus on how we act. Unfortunately, we're not doing a very good job of consistently representing Him in a positive way. The Barna Group reports that a large majority of people aged 16-29 years old who are outside of the church view Christians as judgmental, hypocritical, insensitive, too-political and bigoted, among several other less than flattering adjectives¹.

While I know many Christians who are not any of these things, I also know quite a few who fit this description quite well. Unfortunately, it is these folks who give us all and the Christ we represent a bad reputation.

So what adjectives should accurately describe followers of Christ? Galatians 5:22-23 gives us a pretty good working list, “…the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.”

No, we're not perfect and we won't get it right all of the time. But, we can start by asking God each day to help us remember that we are a reflection of Him, a representation of who He is to the rest of the world.

1. Kinnaman, David, and Lyons, Gabe. unChristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity... and Why It Matters. Baker Books, 2007.

No comments: