Friday, February 25, 2011

Seek Ye First the Milk and Bread

I was in Wal-mart the other day and walked passed a woman pushing a cart full of miscellaneous items. She was apparently on her way to check out. I overheard her say to her friend, “I only came in here to buy one thing! One…stinking…thing! This happens every time I come here!”

I can totally relate! Can you? Walmart is like a black hole for my wallet I chalk it up to loss of focus. The clearance clothes, cute flip-flops and the newest offerings in mascara are just a few of the enticements waiting to distract me from my original goal.

It’s easy to lose focus, isn’t it? And not just at the store but in life in general. We can have fantastic goals, but never achieve them because one distraction after another keeps throwing us off track. This can be especially true when it comes to our spiritual growth. We know that regularly reading the Bible, having quiet time with God, keeping a prayer journal and being part of a small group of believers are all things that will help to mature us as Christians and bring us closer to Jesus. However, life happens and these very important things get left out. It’s like the times I’ve gone to Wal-mart and gotten a bunch of non-essentials but forgotten to pick up the milk and bread! My family can live with out the new shoes and the lovely new shade of nail polish, but we need to eat!

Making a list and remembering to check it is one way to remember everything I need at the store, and it’s also a good way to remember my priorities in life as well. If you think that loss of focus is derailing your attempts at spiritual growth, one solution may be to make a list of the things that draw you closer to God. Schedule your time to allow for these things on a regular basis.

When you are busy it’s easy to push God-time aside. But this is such a huge mistake, because it is your time with God that will help to balance the rest of your life. Finally, remember Jesus words from Matthew 6, “So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

No comments: