Friday, February 4, 2011

Lobster Forks

While sorting through years of accumulated stuff in my kitchen, I came across something that made me laugh…lobster forks. A set of 10 lobster forks, to be exact. What made me laugh is that, at one point in my pre-married life, I actually believed that my husband and I would spend evenings dining on lobster with 8 of our closest friends.

The reality is that within the first 5 years of our marriage, my husband and I had 3 children and had already accumulated a mass of debt. The only time those forks have been used is when I needed something small and pointy to poke a hole with. If I knew then what I know now, I’d have registered for a set of indestructible Corelle dishware and a lifetime supply of Resolve carpet cleaner when I got married.

Even though our life together didn’t turn out quite like I had planned or imagined, my love for my husband and my commitment to our marriage has never waivered. Would I enjoy having more money, less debt, a bigger house and a nicer car? Probably. But, I treasure my husband and the life we do have together far more than anything money could buy.

I sometimes wonder if my love for Jesus runs that deep. Sure, I’m all about praising and thanking Him when life is going well. But, when the going gets tough, I’m way too quick to start griping. After all, why should someone who has a relationship with the King of the universe ever have to suffer?

But, the truth is that becoming a Christian does not give us a “Get out of problems free” pass. In fact, many people face daily persecution and suffering because they are Christians. Jesus even said in the Book of John that “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." This is how we can praise him in both good and bad times, by remembering that He is still in control and working for our ultimate good, even on days when life doesn’t meet our expectations.

No comments: