Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rest

I just returned from a long weekend at the beach with a friend.  This is something I haven’t done in ages, and it was so refreshing to be responsible for no one other than myself for a few days!    I did feel a little guilty taking off for the weekend and leaving my hubby and kids home to fend for themselves, especially when I found out that my youngest daughter started running a fever just a few hours after I left.  But, the truth is, I have come back a better mother and a better wife after having a few days to recuperate.  And, everyone on the home front survived and I think my husband has a new appreciation of what I do every day.

We all need a break sometimes and that is nothing to be ashamed of. Jesus modeled this for us by regularly taking time away from everything to rest and have time alone with the Father.  The Lord modeled rest on the seventh day of creation.  

Taking time to rest is not selfish, in fact it is one of the best things you can do to be a better servant!  Think of the instructions a flight attendant gives on a plane about the oxygen masks.  We’re told to put the masks on ourselves first and then on any children we are travelling with.  This is because if we don’t give ourselves the oxygen first, we may pass out before we can give it to our children.  Taking care of ourselves first does not come naturally, but it is necessary. Schedule some rest for yourself today.

No comments: