Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mountain Climbing

I’ve never had an actual near death experience, but I came close once on a hike with my family up Hanging Rock.  I didn’t realize how tough the steep, 3 mile hike was going to be and there were several points on the hike that I really didn’t think I would make it.

My struggle to climb that mountain is a good reminder of what happens when we haven’t been conditioning our spiritual muscles and we come up against a difficult situation in our lives.  When molehills begin to feel like mountains it doesn’t take long for me to realize that I haven’t been spending enough time with God.

In the fourth chapter of 1st Timothy, Paul writes a lot about the importance of spiritual conditioning, saying: “ For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come”

Let’s pray today that God will help us find the time and motivation to spend time daily with Him so that our spiritual muscles will be in good enough shape to handle whatever challenges come our way.

No comments: