Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mustang Tami

Not long ago my hubby and I were leaving a restaurant when a beautifully restored 1965 Mustang pulled into the parking lot. It had a shiny red body and black convertible top. I have always quietly wished I could own a classic Mustang just like the one in front of my eyes that night. As soon as Alton saw it he said, “Oh, look honey…there’s your car!”.

Now, I’m not really a “car person”. I drive a minivan because it’s the most efficient way to haul my family of five around. Having a cool car just isn’t on my radar right now. But, sometime, in the past, I must have shared some Mustang Musings with my husband….and, he remembered that about me. I’m not sure why, but at that moment, I felt incredibly, deeply loved and abundantly blessed to be married to someone who knows me well enough to know even the little, trivial things about me.

I think we all have a desire to be intimately, deeply known. When another person takes the time and makes the effort to learn the intricacies of our personality, they in many ways give us value. They are validating who we are by showing us that we are worth being known. Our Creator knows that we have this yearning to be known and He repeatedly expresses to us in the Bible that he does, in fact, know us thoroughly….right down to the number of hairs on our head.

Are you feeling the need to be known by someone who loves you today? Open your Bible to Psalm 139. In it, David celebrates the intimate love God has for us. He says, “You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.” A few verses later, David says that God’s thoughts about us outnumber the grains of sand!

It’s hard to understand how or why our Lord, the Creator of heaven and earth, of all that is seen and unseen, would also focus his attention so specifically on each one of us. But, I am so glad that He does. I am so thankful that he loves me enough to know me!

No comments: