Monday, January 17, 2011

I'm God's Favorite

I don’t know if I’ve ever told you this, but I am God’s favorite. Really… it’s true…God’s favorite, that’s me. “Wait a minute!”, you say, “how on earth can you just sit there and make such a bold statement? And what gives you the right to claim that you’re His favorite, anyway?”

I know it seems like a preposterous thing to say, but let me explain…The band “Pocket Full of Rocks” has a song called “Now I Sing” and in the chorus it says, “But I tell ya, I'm God's favorite, he's got eyes only for me.”

I had a chance to ask Pocket’s lead singer, Michael, about the meaning of those lyrics. He said that, in the Bible, there are many different names for God and one of those names means “many-eyed”. In Jeremiah 23, God asks the question, “Am I a God near at hand,” says the LORD, “And not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So, I shall not see him?”
God has an eye for each one of us, which enables him to not only see everything all at once but also see each of us individually at the same time. That’s how the creator who holds the universe in his hands can also have an intimate relationship with each one of us. God’s love is not divided among His children, it is multiplied.

David was so enamored by the idea of God thinking about him when he wrote Psalm 139. Listen to his words: "How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand. When I awake, I am still with you. "
God knows me, he sees me and he has the capacity to love me just like I was his only child. So, there you have it…I am God’s favorite! And, guess what, so are you!

No comments: