Friday, April 25, 2008

Dove Awards-Forgiveness

I am currently in Nashville for GMA. The highlight of the week is the Dove Awards, it’s sort of like the Grammies of Christian music. So, I’ve decided to use Moment for Mom to dig a little deeper into some of the nominees for song of the year.

Three of the songs nominated are about God’s forgiveness. For starters, “Undo”, by Rush of Fools talks about getting to a point in life where you realize just how far away from God you’ve gotten. The chorus says, “Bring me back to the place of forgiveness and grace. I need you. I need your help. I can’t do this myself. You’re the only one who can undo what I’ve done.” I think we’ve all been at this point before. Maybe you’re there right now. The good news is that God’s grace is perfected in a heart this humble and ready for guidance.

The version of “Amazing Grace” written by Chris Tomlin is another nominee. It’s a slightly new twist on an old favorite hymn. I think this song has resonated with so many people over the years because it hits all of us exactly where we are. I’ve even seen a t-shirt that says “I am the wretch the song talks about”. There’s not one of us that couldn’t wear that shirt. All are lost, all are blind. Thank God today that his amazing gift of grace offers us a way out of this condition!

Finally, “East to West” from Casting Crowns defines our struggle to fully accept God’s forgiveness. All too often we send ourselves on a Guilt Trip over sins that we were forgiven of long ago. However, we’re told several times in the Bible that once we have been forgiven…that’s it. The slate is wiped clean and God has forgotten our sin. Psalm 103:12 is the verse that inspired the song from Casting Crowns...it says, “as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”

I am so thankful that His forgiveness is so perfect and complete. Today, let’s take some time to reflect on his Grace. Let’s also pray that we will be able to fully accept his grace, never looking back.

No comments: