Monday, July 25, 2011

Is This What Jesus Told Us to Do?

I recently read a book called Jim and Casper go to Church. Jim is a

Christian who has also worked as a pastor and church planter. He is
curious about what outsiders think of the church and the way we express our faith,
hoping that this insight will help him find new ways to reach the un-churched.
So, he hires Casper who is an atheist to travel across the country visiting ten churches
of different sizes, shapes and styles. After visiting each church, Casper has
the same question, “Jim, is this what Jesus told you guys to do?”

His question has stuck with me. When I observe the many expressions
of our Christian faith today, I can’t help but ask myself the same question.
For example, the largest Christian church in all of Latin-America is in
Guatemala city. At over 1.2 million square feet, the enormous and beautiful
facility stands in stark contrast to the poverty that surrounds it. As I drove
past it this summer while serving on a mission trip in Guatemala, I heard
the question loudly being asked in my head, “Is this what Jesus told you
guys to do?”

What do you think? Are Christians today are doing the things Jesus told us
to do?

No comments: