Friday, July 9, 2010

What Lies Beneath

Is there anyone who actually enjoys shopping for a new swimsuit?

I usually try to avoid looking in the mirror unless I am fully clothed. However, there are a few times when it’s unavoidable. Like, when I make that much dreaded trip to the store to buy a new swimsuit. There is nothing quite so harmful to a gal’s self esteem than looking at her rear-end in a 3 way mirror. Even the skinny mirrors that department stores use to make you look slimmer can’t disguise the cellulite, stretch marks and other evidence of middle age.

However, I recently saw something in the mirror that I’ve never seen before. There, on my belly, I noticed the very faint outlines of abdominal muscles. I didn’t believe my eyes at first. I’ve never had defined abs…ever. I even made my husband look to confirm what I was seeing. And, while my stomach is still quite far from being the washboard so many of the women in my fitness magazines proudly display, for the first time ever I was able to see the firm and fit lady that hides beneath the several inches of fat that surround her. Seeing her inspires me to continue my efforts to uncover her completely.

I’ve experienced the same kind of thing in my walk with Jesus. As promised, once I became a believer, God gave me the gift of the Holy Spirit, He now dwells within me. 1 Corinthians 3:16 tells us “We are a temple of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in us.” Unfortunately, kind of like that super-fit lady living within me…He’s not always evident beneath the layers of flesh that surround him. However, as I continue along this journey of faith and as God reveals more of Himself to me, I’m beginning to see more evidence of the Holy Spirit in my life.


I hope you’re as encouraged by this as I am. Just like it takes time to transform a flabby body into a fit one, God’s work in us is also a gradual process. We all have a lot of growing in Christ to do…but it is good to know that the further along this path we go, people will see less of us and more of Him.

No comments: