Monday, August 16, 2010

SHAPED for Minsitry

If you know me you know that I am passionate about adoption and caring for orphans. As an adopted child, it’s an issue that is deeply important to me. I realize how vastly different my life may have turned out had I grown up in an orphanage if not for the two loving parents who raised me and the loving birth mother who did everything she could to ensure that my forever family would be a good one. There by the grace of God go I. And, I figure the least I can do is tell everyone I know about the plight of the 140+ million orphans in our world.

No doubt, we have a biblical mandate to care for orphans. James 1:27 says “Pure and lasting religion in the sight of God our Father means that we must care for orphans and widows in their troubles, and refuse to let the world corrupt us.”

But, I also have to remember that there are a lot of other people God has called us to care for…widows, aliens, the homeless, the imprisoned. The “least of these” is a pretty broad category! God has taken my experience, history and gifts and turned them into a passion he and I share for orphans. However, maybe your passion lies somewhere else. That’s OK! God wants it that way. If we were all focused on orphans, who would speak out for and take care of everyone else?

1 Peter 4:10 says “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.”

God has a unique ministry calling just for you. Rick Warren’s book “The Purpose Driven Life” is a great place to start if you are still trying to figure out where you fit into His plans. Rick says we all have a unique and God-given SHAPE for ministry…it’s made up of our Spiritual Gifts, Heart, Abilities, Personality and Experience.

Take some time to look inside, praying that God will reveal to you your own shape for ministry how he plans to use you in his kingdom. And, pray that when he answers, you’ll have the discernment, courage, faith and resources to hear and act upon his call.

No comments: