Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Flaws and All

Michelangelo’s statue of David is arguably one of the world’s most famous works of art. This stunning piece of work depicts in remarkably life-like detail a young, strong David, with stone in hand as he prepares to slay the Giant.

What’s interesting, though, is that the huge chunk of marble that Michelangelo used to create David had previously been rejected by at least two other Italian sculptors. They complained that the marble was full of veins and too porous. It could easily shatter with just one wrong move.
Yet, Michelangelo saw a masterpiece in that highly flawed chunk of rock, and 3 years later, his careful workmanship came to life.

I know lots of folks who believe deep in their hearts that God could not possibly use them for anything important, because they have too many flaws. Maybe you feel this way about yourself. However, this line of thinking sells God short.

The Bible is full of stories of very flawed folks who God used to great things. I think God prefers to use messed up people, because when they are victorious there’s no doubt that God is the one who deserves the glory.

Listen to this verse from 2 Corinthians "'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' "Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

So, do not be deceived. God can indeed use you for mighty and beautiful things. Allow him to be the artist, sculpting you day by day from that big chunk of flawed rock into the masterpiece that he sees within…just waiting to be created.

No comments: