Thursday, March 19, 2009

Worship!!

I recently attended a church service (don’t worry, I won’t name names) and I have to say, I was really disappointed by the level of enthusiasm, or lack thereof, during worship time.

It wasn’t the worship team’s fault…they were doing a great job of passionately leading worship. But, no matter how hard they tried to stir up that passion among the congregation, the response remained, for the most part, completely flat. Here we stood, singing “I Am Free to Run, I am Free to Dance, I am Free to Live for You, I am Free” and the majority of the people weren’t even smiling as they sang. Based on their facial expressions, they could have just as easily been singing, “Nobody knows the troubles I’ve seen.”

It made me wonder how many people at this church really understood what the praise and worship portion of a service is all about. I know that I sure didn’t get it when I became a Christian. But, it’s important to understand that it’s called Praise and Worship because that’s exactly what we’re supposed to be doing at that time… Praising and Worshipping the Lord! When we sing in church, it’s not to fill the room with pretty music, or to fill time before the pastor starts talking. We’re singing to God…he’s our audience of one.

Listen to the description of worship in Proverbs 29:2 “Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; worship the LORD in the splendor of his holiness.”

I understand that people express themselves differently…not everyone raises their hands, claps and/or sways to the music. However, no matter how you choose to show it, when singing praise and worship songs, we are wise to remember that we are singing at the foot of the throne.

No comments: