Friday, May 14, 2010

Emptying the Bank

As anyone with multiple kids knows, children spawned from the same exact set of parents often live on completely opposite ends of the personality spectrum. This is true for my kids…especially when it comes to money. One of my kids has gotten his impulse spending under control and has managed to accumulate quite a savings account. Another child is just beginning to understand money management, but she knows that it’s a good thing to have!

And, then there’s our Middle Child, who, at the ripe old age of 9, seems to understand the joy of giving. At Christmas, she often empties out the “spending” portion of her bank, goes to the dollar store, and spends all of her hard earned money on gifts for family, friends and teachers.

Here’s what she doesn’t know. Whenever I find loose change while I’m picking up around the house or doing the laundry, I put it in Carley’s bank. I don’t do it because I love her more than our other children (although they’d accuse me of that if they knew what I was up to). I do it because I want to quietly reward her generosity. Besides, I know she will be a good steward of the money I give her.

It occurred to me recently that God blesses us financially in much the same way. When we have a generous heart, giving freely to others, He freely gives to us. When we’re good stewards of our resources, he knows He can trust us with more. And, when we tithe, even though doing so will “empty our bank”, He is always faithful in providing us with what we need.

Look at this verse from Corinthians: 2 Corinthians 9:7-8
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

Take time today to thank God for His assurance that we can trust you with everything, including our money. Ask Him to give you the faith to be generous in giving, even when there is risk involved

No comments: