Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cinderella

It's hard to believe that its been a year since the accidental death of Steven Curtis Chapman’s youngest daughter, Maria. I don’t know this family personally but when I heard the news of her loss, I found myself grieving right alongside the Champans.

Ironically, Steven’s song, “Cinderella” had just hit the airwaves before the accident. "Cinderella" is a song about a father taking time out of his busy day to spend time with his little girl. The father in the song realizes that he doesn’t have forever with his child…so he makes the most of the moment to dance with his little girl.

The lyrics of this song took on a new, haunting meaning in light of the events surrounding aria's death. In the song, the little girl pretending to be a princess becomes a teenager getting ready for the prom and then a young bride preparing for her wedding day. The Chapman family’s website reported that the accident that took their young daughter’s life happened “just hours after the family celebrated the engagement of their oldest daughter Emily Chapman, and just hours before a graduation party marking Caleb Chapman's completion of high school."

The one year anniversary of the Chapman's tragedy has, once again, reminded me that I really take the time I have with my children for granted. Mom and Dad...let's remember to hug our children extra hard as we send them off to school or daycare today. We need to appreciate every moment we have. They are only ours for a time. Eventually, they will grow up and walk their own path…write their own story. And, as the Chapman family knows all too well, even tomorrow is not a guarantee.

I know that time is limited, energy is drained, houses are dirty, yards need to be mowed, and dinner needs to be on the table. But, how important are those things really when compared to precious, irreplaceable moments with your children? So, I’ll dance with Cinderella while she is here in my arms….I don't wanna miss even one song, Cuz all to soon the clock will strike midnight and she'll be gone.


Learn more about the Champans and their organization, "Show Hope" by clicking here.

No comments: