Sunday, January 24, 2010

End of the Peer (Pressure)

This is a prayer request recently sent to the Morning Show:

Please pray for my daughter who is having a tough time at school. She is a great kid; respected by her peers, teachers and all adults in her life. In spite of all that, she still feels persecuted by the popular groups at her middle school. It’s tough when you’re that age not being popular or a skinny size 3. She needs to know that God’s purpose for her existence is perfect.

Does that sound familiar or WHAT?? I’m sure that this young girl feels like she’s the only one going through this. But, the fact is that Middle and High School is a tough time for most kids. Other kids can be so mean and it’s easy to start believing the ugly things being said about you.

I’m glad this girl has a mom who understands. Unfortunately, there are lots of parents who don’t take problems like this seriously, only adding to their kids feelings of isolation. But, imagine if every day, when you went to work, your coworkers made fun of you…loudly calling you names and making fun of your clothes, your hair and everything else about you. I don’t know about you…but I’d look for a new job. Our kids don’t have that option.

There is good news for this girl and others facing the same adversity. First of all, know that this will not last forever. Secondly, and most importantly, your value comes from a place much greater than the hormone-driven whims of a clique of teenage girls. Remember, you are a child of our perfect God. He makes no mistakes. He creates no “losers”. He understands your hurt and your loneliness and longs to be your refuge.

Psalm 71:1-6
1 O Lord, I have come to you for protection;
don’t let me be disgraced.
2 Save me and rescue me,
for you do what is right.
Turn your ear to listen to me,
and set me free.
3 Be my rock of safety
where I can always hide.
Give the order to save me,
for you are my rock and my fortress.
4 My God, rescue me from the power of the wicked,
from the clutches of cruel oppressors.
5 O Lord, you alone are my hope.
I’ve trusted you, O Lord, from childhood.
6 Yes, you have been with me from birth;
from my mother’s womb you have cared for me.
No wonder I am always praising you!


Please take a moment to pray today for young people feeling the pain of social rejection and bullying. Pray that they will find support from loving friends and family members and that they will discover their worth and value as children of God.

No comments: