Monday, March 21, 2011

Savor the Flavor

I’ve been trying to drink more water lately. I find plain water quite boring, so I like to get flavored, sparkling water. And, because I’m a bit of a tightwad, I only allow myself one bottle of flavored water a day, then for the rest of the day I just refill that bottle with plain water.

One afternoon, my daughter spotted the bottle and wanted a sip. I told her that I had already finished the “good stuff” and the bottle was filled with plain water. She said, “That’s OK. There’s probably still a little flavor left in the bottle.” And, she was right...there was a hint strawberry-kiwi flavor in the regular water.

We all have a “flavor” that we leave behind…an essence that permeates a room after we’ve left. It can be a pleasant flavor-like Joy, Peace, Happiness or Grace. Or, it can be an unpleasant one…Bitterness, Anger, Impatience or Stress. Either way, our attitude, or flavor, has an effect on our surroundings and the people we come in contact with.

This is especially true when it comes to the people we spend the most time with, our spouses, family members and children. In fact, our “flavor” can be so strong and so consistent that it changes theirs, for better or worse.

Today, let’s pray that God will show us the way that our attitude is affecting those around us, and that He will give us the strength we need to replace any of our unsavory flavors with ones that are pleasant. Just as Paul encouraged the Ephesians, let’s pray together that we will “be imitators of God, as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” Ephesians 5:1&2

No comments: